Friday, May 27, 2011

Sick Babies

7 nights ago...some nasty bug found its way into my children's tummies. I don't know where they got it...but I am ready for it to go!

They both started out with nasty diapers ( I will spare you the details :) that I thought was just from moving and getting settled in. Then Kaylon screamed from his room in the middle of the night for me to arrive with him and his entire bed covered in vomit! He hung his head over the toilet SIX more times that night. BUT when he woke up the next morning he was fine. Played hard...even ran a mile with us over the bridge! That night...after he had slept for a few hours, same thing...just less of it. Woke up that morning ready to play! I don't get it! Finally the 3rd night I called the doctor and scheduled an appointment of course for the next day. I was leaning towards reflux since he was fine during the day. Poor baby would tell me "Mommy, my tummy hurts" and "My tummy sad." After trying some Tums, he said his tummy didn't hurt any more and he didn't have any episodes that night. So we cancelled that doctors appointment. BIG MISTAKE!

Kolbie on the other hand, other than going through a case of dirty diapers in a week has been fine. No signs of anything.

All until yesterday. For lack of better words...a hell broke loose at our house. Kolbie had projectile vomit at dinner and Kaylon was up hugging the toilet all night.
Off to the doctor we went. Kolbie was following the same routine as her brother and looked and felt fine by morning. The doctor determined that Kaylon had a stomach bug (duh:)...gastroenteritis is what he named it and warned me to hang in there that he still had a few more days of it left to endure. Of course, there is nothing they can do for a virus but treat the symptoms so we got a prescription for his nausea and diarrhea. Kolbie wasn't showing any signs at the appointment so he instructed to bring her in if she shows any other signs.

As the day went on, Kaylon was his cheery spastic 2 year old self, but Kolbie was clingy and restless and did not eat a bite of food all day long. This child is not my daughter. I had decided I was going to call the doctor today about her, but ...

last night about 5:30 a few red spots showed up on her. Ryan has seen a few on her tummy the night before, but we just brushed it off as some kind of skin irritation or possible flea bites. At 5:3o she had less than 10. By 6 those dots had turned into whelps, so I gave her some Benedryl. By 7 she was covered in them. So of to the Urgent Care Center we go. Immediately upon arriving to the office, her tummy decides to explode out of her diaper...I was so embarrassed, but thankfully we were the only ones there. So, she gets seen and it is determined she has a severe case of gastroenteritis also known as Rotovirus. Thankfully she is in the last stages of it because in most cases if there is a rash it means they are no longer contagious. Apparently the rash looks worse than it really is. (I'll never understand that!) The general consensus was that it usually last 10 days, so for me to stay on top of it because she still has a few days left of it. ( Where have I heard that before?? Oh yeah...just 8 hours ago at the doctors office!!)

Plans for the next 3 to 5 days.
-Stay at home
-Drink LOTS of fluids
-restock on diapers
-discover new indoor activities to keep 2 toddlers busy

oh yes...and Welcome Grammy to MS on Saturday morning with a gas mask!
Pray for us...


No comments:

Post a Comment